Thursday, September 9, 2010

No Doughnut for You


After my post back in June expressing my desire to go to Voodoo Doughnut in Portland and try out their famous bacon maple doughnut some of you may be eagerly awaiting a post on these exquisite little gems of baked goodness.

Well, sorry to disappoint, but it just didn't happen. I feel like a foodie failure, but I just didn't make it there. Oh, I was in the area…several times. But I was waiting for the perfect moment--I didn't want to rush what was sure to be love at first bite.

I contemplated making up a whole story about how great they were and just giving the readers what they want. I could claim the doughnuts were light and yet rich, the maple frosting sweet and decadent, and the bacon glorious and savory. But I just can't do it.

So here's what really happened. On my last day in Portland, after a fantastic lunch at Pok Pok and on our way to an out-of-this-world delicious dinner at MetroVino, we thought we could sneak in a quick stop at Voodoo Doughnut. I even hoped to snag an extra one to bring back for my bacon loving friend Natasha (come on, what are friends for except clogging arteries?). That is, until we saw the line out the door. Seven p.m. on a Saturday and, yes, the line extended out the door and down the sidewalk. It was nearly as hopping as the DMV had been that morning (another necessary stop for anyone visiting the Portland area).

When I saw the line I threw in the towel. Screw the doughnuts and their bacon and maple deliciousness. It was not going to happen. So…next time?


1 comment:

  1. Well, you could always try this recipe for maple bacon fudge to tide you over: http://theanticraft.com/archive/beltane08/ohcanada.htm

    ReplyDelete